This job is no longer available
The Vessel Superintendent will manage all aspects of operations for assigned vessels with the intention of achieving schedule integrity, reliability, performance, financial, environmental and safety goals. Promote safe operations and assure vessel asset preservation. Administer SEMS (Safety & Environmental Management System) and general Corporate Policy and Procedures for vessel operation in accordance with appropriate Class and regulatory rules. Act as primary point of contact between assigned Vessels and companies other shore based management.
- Participate in weekly and ad-hoc Conference Calls with Vessel Operations Team to include Tradelane Logistics, Network Operations, Terminals, and Engineering to discuss future cargo operation and vessel repair strategies in advance of vessel arrivals.
- Identify and assess risks and develop potential mitigation strategies
- Coordinate response to non-standard events, develop contingency plans, coordinate & communicate with vessel, Class, regulatory bodies, terminals, and internal response teams.
- Participate in planning and execution of vessel drydocking projects with assigned Port Engineer and Sr. Shipboard Officers.
- Champion overall health and safety of vessel, crew, and environment
- Develop comprehensive knowledge of Corporate and Regulatory requirements
- Administer and oversee compliance and correction action plans on assigned vessels
- Conduct both in port and underway internal vessel audits and safety assessments
- Manage financial performance of assigned vessels from budget/forecast through planning to spend
- Work with shipboard and shoreside personnel to prioritize expense and understand variances.
- Review, verify and approve Vessel Operating related invoices for goods and services
- Assist and coordinate with Risk Management on Injury, Hull, or Environmental claims and their subsequent investigations.
- Establish thorough understanding of Shipboard personnel, their capabilities and ability to work as a team:
- Develop a working knowledge of all Vessel Labor Collective Bargaining Agreements so as to provide sound and appropriate decisions on officer and crew labor concerns when disputes and grievances arise.
- Provide guidance and recommendation of Senior Permanent Officer selections and promotions both Vessel specific and Fleet-wide
- Develop depth in Crewing using available means: training, mentorship, temporary assignments
- Actively participate in local industry related functions in terms of procedural, technical and social events as necessary.
- Meet regularly with appropriate local federal and state maritime regulatory representatives on a regular basis
- Establish meaningful dialogue with Coast Guard and Class representatives
- Develop and communicate resolution if problems arise with the assigned vessels.
- Requires a broad understanding of vessel operations as they pertain to steam and motor vessels from a functional, engineering and regulatory perspective.
- Maritime background with sea service preferred as a licensed officer on board deep draft vessels. An advanced degree in related technical or business discipline (i.e. marine engineering, marine transportation, business administration) or equivalent experience is necessary
- Ability to clearly and concisely outline details verbally and in writing as the situation demands.
- Ability to follow up on delegated work and to give clear and concise guidance to a large number of associates for a multitude of projects. Must be able to prioritize and effectively supervise subordinates in their prioritization of tasks.
- Must be willing to take the initiative and understand when to take charge without specific direction. Must also be able to manage effectively with minimal supervision. Able to sustain high levels of activity over long hours when necessary and has the mental energy to constantly seek better alternatives.
- Ability to develop and implement new programs to meet changing regulatory, economic and personnel needs is essential. Ability to adapt to and handle constantly changing priorities is required
- Ability to make quick and effective decisions within limited time frame.
- Strong ability to efficiently manage time and resources in an atmosphere of constantly changing priorities, multitude of subjects and large number of inside and outside resources.
- Interacts effectively and develops rapport with others. Modifies personal behavior as appropriate, outgoing, works effectively with other departments. Requires strong negotiating skills.
- Recognizes, comprehends, and analyzes potential problems, identifies and interpret implications and determines solutions. Ability to develop new approaches that will reduce workloads for subordinates while increasing overall work output is essential.Working knowledge with the ability to navigate through systems such as Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, NS5, ABS Safenet, etc.
If this has caught your interest please apply online by cklicking on the "APPLY NOW".