This job is no longer available
Teradata Data Architect
Work with Data Architects to perform Physical Data Modeling and Database Design for a Teradata database to develop the Teradata relational Integration and dimensional Access Layer Physical Data Models.
In cooperation with data architects, ensure correct implementation of standards and best practices, focusing on making the Integration and Access Layers usable for the business, hence aiming for a simple structure that supports self-service BI initiatives and future BI developments.
BI&MDM Architecture in Maersk Line IT
The Architecture unit in the Business Intelligence & Master Data Management (BI&MDM) department is responsible for providing solution architectures, consultancy and guidance of implementations in the BI and MDM domain, as well as providing data architectures and physical database design across all functional verticals.
Data Architecture is accountable for several different services offered to our internal customers in Maersk Line Information Technology (MLIT), e.g.: Canonical Information / Conceptual, Logical and physical Data Models, Information Flow Models, Data Mapping Models, Meta Data Models, Data Virtualization, Component Design and Modeling Consulting and Aiding.
The IT Environment
Maersk Line has spent the last five years standardizing the process landscape and three years simplifying a complex IT environment that had grown organically through preceding periods of high growth. In addition, a significant amount of time and capital investment has seen the introduction of leading edge IT capabilities to support a business transformation that brought and is bringing fundamental changes in the way Maersk Line services its customers.
The new IT capabilities include large implementations of best of breed technologies for: Enterprise Data Warehousing / Business Intelligence, SOA technologies and development, Work Flow and Business Rules, and Master Data Management.
• Transform Logical Data Models into Physical Data Models for a Teradata database, for the both the Integration and Access Layers in the Teradata 3 tier architecture.
• Engage with Data Architects and development partners to understand data access paths and business use.
• Use access path and business use understanding to perform Compression, Partitioning, Primary and other Indexing that maximizes usability and long term durability and reliability.
• Apply appropriate Denormalization and Audit Balance and Control columns.
• Perform data profiling, and business rules investigations on source data, to ensure correct design of the Integration and Access layers.
• Map and document data transformations of data from a business terms perspective.
• Support delivery project teams in assessing their resource needs to deliver the Integration and Access layers.
Who we are looking for
• Bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems or a related study or equivalent related project experience
• Minimum of 8 years as IT Professional with broad physical data modeling and database design experience.
• Dimensional database design expertise.
• Experience with Teradata implementations and with a data warehouse 3-tier data model approach (Acquisition Layer, Integration Layer, Access Layer).
• Experience with 3NF models.
• Experience with ERwin data modeling tool and Model Mart from CA.
• Knowledge about Agile development.
• Knowledge of Container Shipping would be a distinct advantage.
• Knowledge of the Maersk Line system portfolio is an advantage.
• Being able to establish and maintain a high level of customer trust and confidence, communicating and explaining Physical Data Models to individuals with diverse background.
• Working effectively in a team of strong individuals for achieving a shared goal.
• Able to communicate to all layers within the organization - and being able to translate between technical language and business language.
• Possessing the ability to balance and find compromises between opposing forces and opinions, within architectural boundaries and decisions.
• Fluent in oral and written English.
• Thrives in an international environment.
>Last application date: 31 March 2014.
For further information, please contact: Ben Mogensen, email Benjamin.email@example.com.
maerskline.comFor information about the role, please contact the Recruitment Lead, Christian Payne - email firstname.lastname@example.org. No recruitment agencies please. Please note that we review applications on an ongoing basis, and may close the role before the application deadline if we find the right candidate. Therefore we encourage you to apply at your earliest opportunity.
Maersk Line is the world's largest container shipping, serving customers all across the globe. Maersk Line has 25,000 employees across 325 offices in more than 125 countries. As a leading provider of container shipping services, Maersk Line's mission is to provide opportunities in global commerce. Maersk Line helps customers source goods from anywhere in the world, creating efficiencies in their supply chains, and making it possible for commodities to reach new markets more quickly. Maersk Line sets the standards in ensuring continuous and consistent reliable and quality service to its customers and is regarded amongst the most reliable carriers in the world.The Maersk Group comprises A.P. Moller - Maersk A/S and subsidiaries based in Copenhagen, Denmark. The Group employs about 121,000 people in around 130 countries across the world.